Our Peacemaking Committee helped us celebrate More Light Sunday by dedicating their table to More Light Presbyterians' "Write Now" campaign. They put out a mailbox for cards to be sent to commissioners of the upcoming General Assembly urging the removal of discriminatory policies, particularly G-6.0106b.
Thirty-eight folks signed cards with their names and addresses. In addition to the printed statement on all the cards that reads:
The time is Right Now to remove barriers to ordination for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Presbyterians. Please support the removal of G-6.0106b and other barriers to equality.several added their own comments:
- We all need to welcome all people. Everyone is a child of God. We should not question God!
- Would Christ think the church should have two classes of membership? Are some of us more equal than others?
- It is time! (x4)
- Peace. Justice. Love. For all.
- As we all struggle to follow Christʼs teachings, I need my church to do so, now.
- Please do it now!
- Many lives depend on this!
- My son is gay. God made him that way and God couldnʼt have made a finer person. Please donʼt deprive yourself of the gifts and service of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- What would Jesus do?
- The church should be the leader in ending discrimination not the leader in perpetuating it!
- The Lord created all people. Let them be.
- I am straight but this is long overdue!
- Thank you in advance for your attention and action on this important issue.
- Please take a stand AGAINST injustice, bigotry, oppression and hate!
- None are free if some are oppressed.
- Get on with the program and stop this homophobic nonsense!
- Please remove the barriers so that the whole church can communicate Godʼs welcome to all people. No more second-class citizens.
They are in the mail. You can send your own comment to our commissioners via More Light Presbyterians to:
More Light Presbyterians
"Write Now" Campaign
4737 County Road 101,
Minnetonka, MN 55345-2634
Here is my More Light Sunday sermon.
Also, if you can knit fast, we need 500 more scarves for this GA! Michael has the details!
Check out the More Light blog to keep track of the overtures.