I just returned from an address by Rev. Oliver "Buzz" Thomas at ETSU. Thomas, a Baptist minister and a lawyer spoke on the constitution, particularly the first amendment, and more particularly, the freedom of religion.
He made a number of points:
- Religion is one of the few things we kill and die for.
- America is the most religiously diverse nation in the world.
- The glue that binds us is not Christianity or religion but the constitution.
- Many Americans mistakenly think the constitution stipulates that America is a Christian nation.
- Respecting the right of others to exercise their religion is the key to being good citizens.
- The American experiment will depend upon whether or not we can live together in peace despite our differences.
He is an excellent speaker. He has also written a book,
Ten Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But Can't Because He Needs the Job!)